UNIFORM POLICY and GUIDELINES FOR PARENTS
We have changed the way we sell uniform. All uniform is only available from our suppliers Stitch a Logo.
We have also made some changes to the uniform itself. Our PE kit has been revamped and extended. This new-style kit is compulsory for our Year 7-10 and is only available from Stitch a Logo. Parents of students in Year 11 may buy the new-style kit if they wish, but this is not compulsory and we anticipate that most will continue to buy existing PE kit from the school while stocks last.
At Harrow Way we are very proud of our school uniform, which is an essential part of our school’s ethos. We believe that a smart uniform improves our students’ self-esteem and confidence and contributes to good behaviour, as well as helping them to feel part of their school community.
‘Look smart, think smart.’
Below are guidelines on which clothing styles are acceptable for school. All students are required to wear the uniform as designated in the school prospectus:
- BLACK SCHOOL JACKET with embroidered badge
- TIES* must be worn properly tied, with the top shirt button fastened.
- SHIRTS must be white and worn tucked in with top button fastened.
- BLACK SCHOOL TROUSERS , also available through our stockist, Stitch-A-Logo. Students may only wear
loose-fitting trousers; slim-fit, tight or stretch trousers are not permitted.
- TARTAN SCHOOL SKIRTS only available through our stockist, Stitch-A-Logo. Skirts should be knee-length. Over the knee socks should not be worn with skirts.
- SOCKS worn with trousers should be plain black.
- TIGHTS should be plain and either natural or black.
- SHOES must be black, plain and flat, and should be worn to and from school. Boots are not acceptable. Trainers must not be worn except for PE/Games lessons and for permitted sporting activities.
- GREY, BADGED JUMPERS are available as an optional additional item. Students who wear these, however, must do so IN ADDITION to their blazer, NOT instead.
- No denim or leather clothing is permitted.
- SCHOOL PE KIT The school’s short-sleeved red and black sports shirt, shorts, and football/hockey socks must be worn for all games and PE activities.
- For Years 7-10 , either the school’s over-tops and tracksuit bottoms available from Stitch-a-logo may be worn for PE in cold weather, over the standard school PE kit listed above or a plain black alternative may be worn.
- Gum shields are strongly recommended for hockey and rugby activities. For all PE and games activities, students with long hair must provide themselves with hair ties or clips to keep hair off the face. All jewellery must be removed.
- OUTSIDE COATS should be plain and muted, with minimal or no logos. Denim and leather outside coats must not be worn.
- GREEN APRONS for Food Technology are compulsory for the lower years.
- JEWELLERY The wearing of jewellery, with the exception of watches and a small ear stud, no more than one per ear, is not permitted. Other visible piercings are not permitted.
- MAKE-UP Too much make-up is inappropriate and in these cases the student will be asked to remove it. Only clear nail varnish may be worn. False nails/extensions are not permitted. False eyelashes or extensions are also not permitted.
- NO HOODIES or BASEBALL CAPS are permitted.
- HAIR, Extreme styles and colours are not acceptable. Only ‘natural’ hair colours are permitted.
Ties *can also be purchased from School.
We are grateful for parents’ support in upholding high expectations for our uniform
Trousers for both genders may be straight-legged or slightly flared, but MUST NOT be leggings or ‘skinny leg’ trousers shaped to hug or cling to the legs.